Interview With:: Ashley Allen
First things first, please introduce yourself!
– Hey everyone! I am Ashley Allen 🙂
For those that aren’t familiar with you or your music, what can they expect to hear when listening to your album?
– My music is pop, when listening to my music you can definitely expect to hear the autobiography of my life. I incorporate all of my life experiences in my music. So whether the songs make you dance, laugh, or cry… the one thing the songs all have in common is that they are all stories told by me.
We’re definitely loving the new single, “Let’s Go", and the music video is pretty awesome as well. The video starts off with a younger Ashley’s school project that shows how she will be in the future. Growing up around parents with a passion for music, did you always know that music was your passion as well or did you want to be something else when you were younger?
– For as long as I can remember music has always been my number one. However, I do remember a time I wanted to be an astronaut. A singing astronaut!
You’ve had your fair share of troubling times from dealing with bullying to depression to anxiety. I think most people listen to their favorite artists to try and cope with the issues they’re dealing with. As an artist yourself, how has music helped you deal with these issues?
– My entire life music has been my best friend and it’s always been there for me when I felt no one else was. Music is certainly an outlet to escape the tortures that come with growing up. For me, I would lock myself in my room and all I would do was write music. The process of putting my experiences onto paper and into song and melody was definitely therapeutic.
“Body Say No, Heart Say Yes" could definitely be the perfect summer anthem to blast and sing along to. What would you consider your summer anthem?
– Good question! I recently heard the song True Love by Pink featuring Lily Allen and I love it! I am such a huge fan of Pink and I have been following Lily Allen since her Smile days. I love that they decided to collaborate together!
You recently toured Australia with Taylor Dayne. What was that experience like and can we expect a tour in the states soon?
– Touring was amazing. I had the best time. I definitely learned a lot about myself on the road. As for a tour in the states, I hope so!
Most of your songs have an upbeat and pop vibe to them. Have you always known that pop music was the direction you wanted to go in or have you messed around with other genres first to really figure out your sound?
– I always knew that pop music was the direction I wanted to go. However, I really have a love and listen to so many genres that it was important for me to find a way to incorporate them into my music.
If you could create a dream tour, who would be on it and what would it be called?
– If I could see Marilyn Manson, Rascal Flats, Pink, and Skillex on the “I Couldn’t Decide What I Wanted To Listen To Tour,” I think I’d freak out! In a good way.
Being a part of the music industry with multiple empowering female artists, what is your message of empowerment to your fans and new listeners?
– Through all of the negative struggles that come with growing up… there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I want to be that example that negative can turn positive. I want everyone to know that they are not alone and to never give up on yourself and on your dreams.
What can we expect next from Ashley Allen?
– In the next month you can expect to hear new music! I am super stoked to get more music out for everyone to hear!
You can download Ashley’s single “Let’s Go" on her website, itsashleyallen.com